[linux-audio-user] Ubuntustudio + ACPI + Jack issues

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Mon Feb 6 14:30:01 EST 2006

On 2/6/06, Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri at broadpark.no> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just installed Ubuntustudio. It all works great, except after a few
> minutes I get lots of these message from jack:
> "delay of 27893.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 21274.000;
> restart ..." (where the number of usecs are varying).
>
> After lots of fiddling and googling I discovered that acpi is probably
> causing it, and it consequently happens only when acpi is enabled. When
> acpi is disabled I can push latency down to 2.67 msecs without xrunning
> nomatter how hard I try....so this is good ;)
>
> I've done these tweakings with Breezy, and it happens with all of them:
> http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Breezy:Vanilla_Kernel_With_Realtime_Preemption
> http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Breezy:Rlimits-Aware_PAM
> http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Breezy:Enabling_Preemption
>
> It also happened the same way in out-of-the-box Dapper. I'm now on
> Breezy with the vanilla kernel with preempt patch.
>
> My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8600:
> http://www.koeniglich.de/dell_8600.html
>
> I use Alsa intel8x0 driver, and had no other problems. Jack also worked
> fine with acpi on other distros like PCLinuxOS, even with the non-mm kernel.
>
> I have no idea what to do next, if anyone could give me a clue it'd be
> appreciated.
>
> --
> Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
> http://ringheimsauto.1go.dk/

I'm sorry if I'm an idiot, but how did you disable ACPI? Did you just
remove it from the kernel when you were compiling? In the BIOS or
something else? Do you just kill acpid?

I read that APM could cause issues, but hadn't seen anything about ACPI.

My P4 system is giving me headaches (Ardour keeps saying my system
isn't fast enough and disconnects from JACK and stuff, could be a
similar issue), but my AMD system works fine... Weird. AMD system is a
clone, P4 system is also a Dell..

I too would like to know how to fix this so it can be put into the wiki.

Dana