[linux-audio-user] [ANN] das_watchdog 0.1.2

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil at ccrma.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 15 21:12:39 EST 2006

Sorry for all the announcements. I think I got it right now. ;-)

I have fixed up the compilation problems, corrected the DISPLAY
environment variable, and let both the program and makefile give
warning/error if the softirq-timer/0 or ksoftirqd/0 processes aren't
set to have highest priority.

It might still not work, but at least you get a message about /why/ it
doesn't work, and what you can do to fix it.

(Running "chrt -f -p 99 `ps -A |grep softirq-timer/0 |awk '{print $1}'`"
for all processors (change the "0" in "softirq-timer/0" for each
additional processor) is probably a good tip to make it work.)

REQUIREMENTS
------------
xmessage (should be a part of X11)
libgtop2 (should be a part gnome. No, das_watchdog is not a gnome-program.)

CHANGES
-------
0.1.0->0.1.2
* Added check for the ksoftrqd/0 process as well as the softirq-timer/0 process.
* Added check for SCHED_OTHER of the timing process as well as priority.
* Removed debug-printing.
* Added extensive checks both when compiling and when running about the
   priority of the "softirq-timer/0" process:
   - ***If "softirq-timer/0" is not set to a very high priority (99), the
        watchdog most probably will not work.***
   - The default priority for softirq-timer/0 seems to be 1. However, for
     real time work, it must be set higher to get reliable timing. Set it
     to 99.
   - If softirq-timer/0 is set to less than 99, das_watchdog will refuse to
     compile unless you force it to by editing the makefile. When running
     das_watchdog, it will only give a warning if the priority is set too
     low.
* Changed the DISPLAY environment variable to ":0.0" instead of
   "localhost:0.0". Seems to work for everyone now.
* Switched from libgtop to libgtop2.

Download from http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~kjetil/src/