[linux-audio-user] More music

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Thu Feb 16 11:02:08 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:10:41AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Steve D wrote:
> [re: Arabesque]
> >... I hope to have a score
> >ready in a few weeks [...]
> >http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/scores__notation/

> Cool. If you don't mind I might take a swing at arranging Arabesque for
> two guitars. Please advise if that's kosher with you.

That's fine with me, David. In fact it's flattering when someone else
think's highly enough of one's creative product to want to something
with it him- or herself. My audio and notated music is released under
a very liberal Creative Commons license. People can do whatever they
like with it. It would be great to see a score or hear a two-guitar
performance of the piece, if you do decide to do that.

> I noticed your birth date on the score. You're a year younger than me.
> One of the reasons I want to get my pieces scored is because I simply
> can't play them anymore, not like I used to.

I have a backlog of pieces I have composed over the years, and now at 54
I'm thinking of re-visiting them, revising them, recording and notating
them just to "get them out there" should anyone be interested, and in
case I suddenly drop dead of a heart attack tomorrow (or whenever). ;-)

> Btw, is LilyPond not the shiznitz ?! I'm just amazed at the results I'm
> getting. I've been placing some stuff here if you're interested :
>
> http://linux-sound.org/dlp-music-lilypond/

Yes, LilyPond is fantastic. I love it. I used to use Finale, but once I
got used to LilyPond's text-entry method of notating, I realized I like
it better than graphical entry for some reason.

Your pieces look great. I see that in Umeko you used the \set
tieWaitForNote feature. I happily sponsored (financially) the
development of that feature in LilyPond last year (I needed it for
written-out arpeggios which are tied to a following chord), and
sponsored further development and improvement of the tie code this year.
Ties are looking very nice in LilyPond nowadays, and it feels good to
support such a worthy project (one of numerous worthy open-source
projects).

Best wishes,

Steve
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. -Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918