[linux-audio-user] More music

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Feb 19 08:28:05 EST 2006

Steve D wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:10:41AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
>

>>Cool. If you don't mind I might take a swing at arranging Arabesque for
>>two guitars. Please advise if that's kosher with you.
>>

>That's fine with me, David. In fact it's flattering when someone else
>think's highly enough of one's creative product to want to something
>with it him- or herself. My audio and notated music is released under
>a very liberal Creative Commons license. People can do whatever they
>like with it. It would be great to see a score or hear a two-guitar
>performance of the piece, if you do decide to do that.

Ach, sorry, Steve, it's Abstract I was considering. I'm going to take a
closer look at it today to see what I'll have to change to cram it into
2-guitar space. :)

[re: LilyPond]

>Yes, LilyPond is fantastic. I love it. I used to use Finale, but once I
>got used to LilyPond's text-entry method of notating, I realized I like
>it better than graphical entry for some reason.

I'm getting so fast with it that I can't imagine a GUI doing as well.
Denemo and NoteEdit function nicely as front-ends for LilyPond
(Rosegarden too), but now the GUI just seems like so much trouble to
deal with. Weird.

>Your pieces look great. I see that in Umeko you used the \set
>tieWaitForNote feature. I happily sponsored (financially) the
>development of that feature in LilyPond last year (I needed it for
>written-out arpeggios which are tied to a following chord), and
>sponsored further development and improvement of the tie code this year.
>Ties are looking very nice in LilyPond nowadays, and it feels good to
>support such a worthy project (one of numerous worthy open-source
>projects).

Thanks for supporting the project, I hope more LAU folks donate to their
favorite soundapps.

Btw, I've updated my LilyPond site again. I added two more guitar
pieces, both arrangements this time, and I'll be putting up some more
original music soon. I'm having a ball with LilyPond these days. If
anyone's interested:

    http://linux-sound.org/dlp-music-lilypond/

Best,

dp