[linux-audio-user] Obituary for Pete Bessman

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Sun Feb 19 12:37:21 EST 2006

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:23:00 -0500
Pete Bessman <ninjadroid at gazuga.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 17:25 +0100, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi, i dig both tracks. How do you process your guitar?
>
> Hope you dig the final draft even more.  Which leads me to this: I'm not
> really putting any thought into my guitar tone right now since this is
> all rough draft stuff.  All I've got is a Sure SM57 right up against the
> grill of my Peavy Triple XXX half stack (running 6L6GC JJs).  My mic
> preamp is a presonus TubePre, and I've got a Comp16 for compression, but
> I haven't really tweaked the settings so I doubt it's adding any useful
> color to the tone.

Well, in any case, it's a sweet crunchy rocking tone :) The reason why i
ask about the guitar sound is that it sounds big! Especially to my ears
it sounds as if it were somehow stereo expanded or something. But from
your words i reckon it's just a simple mono track panned dead center?

> When all is said and done, I plan to have both the sm57 on the grill
> *and* an MXL990 condenser a few feet away in the air, running into a
> small solid state mixer, maybe through a compressor.  That second mic
> makes a *world* of difference in your tone.  Seriously --- it sounds
> like a whole new amp.

I will try that..

Flo

--