[linux-audio-user] favorite window Manager for making music?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 18:56:47 EST 2006

On 2/19/06, pirrone <pirrone at localnet.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On 2/19/06, pirrone <pirrone at localnet.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Brian,
> >>
> >> Strong preference for Fluxbox.
> >>

> > I second all the good stuff about fluxbox technically and its low
> > system resource usage, but as a day to day environment for running
> > stuff like Crossover Office, Open Office, etc., I got too tired having
> > to make all my menus by hand.
> >
> > - Mark
> >

> Geez Mark, a vigorous young man like yourself.  The shame!  How hard is
> [exec] (Ardour) {ardour -n} or running menumaker?
>
> Actually, and joking aside as I'm kidding you and it's been a long time
> since we've "talked" with the last being probably about Fluxbox as well,
> I truly appreciate "having" to make my menus by hand since not only is
> it quick and easy but it results in precisely what I what to then be
> able to use.
>
> For me Fluxbox, with groups and keys provides the absolutely optimized
> environment for exactly what I am doing.  There's no way things would
> simply shake out like this in one of the automated desktops - KDE,
> Gnome, and the high-priced spreads.
>
> I understand the straightforward simplicity of graphically editing menus
> using desktop tools but truly feel I have much more at my disposal with
> this environment, not less.  Not less in any way.
>
> Frank

Hi Frank,
   Oh, OK, I'll emerge fluxbox and take another look. After all, I
have you to help me with any problems I have, right?

   My issues aren't around running something like Jack or Ardour.
That's easy. I'm more concerned about all the Crossover Office Menus
and the installation of Windows programs (Battery, Guitar Rig, Guitar
Rig 2, Reaktor if it ever works) and all the stuff the Codeweavers
folks put in their launchers. Without that stuff getting set up on the
desktop and in the Gnome menus I'd find CXO almost impossible to use.

   I do have FVWM-Crystal onboard right now. It's really nice to look
at and also has a very small footprint. Additionally it has a nice
taskbar where stuff can go if I want to set things up that way, but
setting the machine up for day to day use is not how I like to spend
my time. It should 'Just Work'.

   But heck, now that I have you to work out all my problems for me
life is good! Expect the root password in a separate email and then
let me know when the emerges are complete, OK?! ;-)

Cheers,
Mark