[linux-audio-user] Re: System upgrade recommendations

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Sun Feb 19 19:40:41 EST 2006

On 2/19/06, Carlo Capocasa <capocasa at gmx.net> wrote:

> > a lot of Xruns, whenever I click in the interface. And I'm not the
>
> Yeah happens to me too... I found a good solution's to control it over
> MIDI and just leave the interface alone during playback.

Can you actually change things from a MIDI controller?

> > I haven't tried it yet. Been busy packaging stuff for Ubuntu Dapper.
>
> Admire a good work ethic.

13 packages and counting.. :)

> > fun and strange to play trumpets and timpanis on a fretboard...
>
> Yeah I'm really looking forward to that one! How's the latency on
> hardware MIDI guitars?

Well, if I plugged my guitar direct into a GR33 pedalboard synth, then
the audio output would have lower latency, but I went with the GI-10
because the MIDI output has less latency than using the GR33's MIDI
output. Overall, it's not bad, but it really works best for strings
and pads. Things that require much more accurate timing, such as
drums, piano, and the like, are slightly delayed, but still playable.
I am not real sure what the latency measurements are. You can listen
to a small sample that I did here:
http://aslan.homelinux.com/dana/rivir/gk2a.mp3

I am not a very good guitarist, and I was just messing around to see
how it would sound. At the start, there I am using slow strings or
something off of my RM1x in one channel, and the actual guitar output
in the other. Then it changes to piano.

Then I was playing chords, just making stuff up. And you can see how
the piano chords have weird notes. You need to be careful... It's a
new style of playing that you need, really.

The thing is that you need to be careful to not play sloppily,
otherwise you'll get incorrect notes... You can hear that all over the
place because I am very sloppy (grew up with Kurt Cobain, heh).

I've used it several times in my music, mostly for slow synths in some
acoustic pieces, and a few times for pianos. The delay is bearable,
for me at least, and I can always correct it with time shifting if
needed.

Dana