[linux-audio-user] Re: System upgrade recommendations

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Sun Feb 19 22:35:03 EST 2006

On 2/19/06, Carlo Capocasa <capocasa at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Can you actually change things from a MIDI controller?
>
> Yeah. http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc_3.html

VERY cool! I hadn't looked around for any docs. Thanks for that link.
I have an E-MU Xboard49 and this is perfect for all those knobs.

> Good for spacey sound FX :)
>
> > 13 packages and counting.. :)
>
> Wow. You're a winner.

Raise the roof... :P

> > http://aslan.homelinux.com/dana/rivir/gk2a.mp3
>
> Nice jam!

Heh, that was the first thing I did when I got it, just recorded that
so I could show people how it sounded.

> > place because I am very sloppy (grew up with Kurt Cobain, heh).
>
> Well he did have a good aim...

I love him still... He had tons of songwriting abilities, and he was
really a good guitarist, in my opinion. Just because he wasn't playing
speed solos or cared if he was in tune doesn't make him a horrible
musician. He was my hero, and the reason I got into playing music in
the first place.

> > I've used it several times in my music, mostly for slow synths in some
> > acoustic pieces, and a few times for pianos. The delay is bearable,
> > for me at least, and I can always correct it with time shifting if
> > needed.
>
> You know technically what the latency is?

No idea... What you hear in that MP3 is played real-time, I didn't
touch it up at all.. So if you hear the small delay in that file,
that's what it is. The audio out of the guitar went into channel one
in my mixer, and the output of my synth went into channel 2 of my
mixer, panned, and out into my PC soundcard.

Dana