[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Mon Feb 20 16:42:58 EST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 13:01 -0800, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>

>>But please, IMO, don't pay for any non-open source software. There are
>>lots of excellent p2p tools you can use to get the software you need.
>>Please don't support makers of non-open source software.
>>

>What?!?!?  Are you serious?  This is terrible advice.  Just because we
>don't like their business model does not give us the right to steal from
>them.
>
>How can we expect people to abide by the GPL if we don't respect their
>licensing terms?  Stealing proprietary software is exactly as immoral as
>proprietary vendors ripping off GPL'ed code.
>
>Lee

Even worse.
If you use proprietary software without paying for it, you're promoting
it (in various ways, for instance telling people how you did your album)
without having the cost into the equation.

It's like saying that in this world if you want to make quality music
you have to afford the price of commercial studio software and that
putting out your album is more important than change this situation.

c.
--
www.cesaremarilungo.com