[linux-audio-user] Maturing of Linux Music Software

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Feb 21 15:33:59 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 15:54 +0200, David Baron wrote:
> My Jammer Pro and Ntonyx software to produce the MIDIs is Windows only
> and is
> not going using Wine. Still no ALSA support for my Dman2044 either.
>
> Someday.

Or not...

I don't think we will ever get to the point where any hardware that
works with Windows will work on Linux.  There are just too many
intransigent vendors who will NEVER release enough info about their
device to make a driver.  And since most hardware IS supported, there's
very little of the incentive to reverse engineer drivers (grueling,
thankless work, that gets you an iffy driver at best, and sued at worst)
there used to be.  Besides the hardware market moves so fast now that by
the time something is RE'd it's obsolete.

Just save yourself some trouble and buy Linux compatible gear.

Lee