[linux-audio-user] Re: favorite window Manager for making music?

Martin Habets errandir_news at mph.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 22:26:02 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 02:57:41PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 11:45 +0000, Martin Habets wrote:
> > I see 'properly written' and 'should'...
> > well in real life problems do happen. I you run into problems, run
> > the latencytest from ALSA to figure out where the problem is on your
> > system.
>
> My point is FIX THE APPS rather than endlessly discuss the "fastest WM
> for audio" on this list!  Christ, it's like a bunch of ricers who think
> putting spoilers on their Honda will make it a race car!

Well, thats a completely different point than I was making: fix whatever
is broken, but find out what is broken first.
Relax, count to 10, then read it again.

> > On my recording system the kernel DRM driver was causing terrible
> > latency,
> > but an ugly kernel patch put an end to that.
> > I guess if I was a graphics programmer I would think GUI stuff has the
> > highest priority.
>
> Where is this patch?  Is it already included in the latest kernel
> sources?

You should know very well that bad patches normally don't make it into
the kernel. I sure hope this one never will (in it's current form).

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-June/msg00072.html

--
Martin