[linux-audio-user] Re: ingo molnar patch on mandriva's kernel

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 01:32:56 EST 2006

On 2/16/06, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> On 16 February 2006 at 10:28, Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I use mandriva 2006 and a self compiled rt kernel. Though
> > currently I can't get the RT kernel to run well on my hardware
> > (x86_64) so i'm stuck with the MM kernels. I can get quite
> > decent latency though.
>
> My MDV2006 machine is also x86_64.  In my case Athlon dual-core,
> 4400+ I just reinstalled it two weeks ago, upgrading to the
> December Club 2006 edition.  I haven't moved any of my music
> gear to it yet, wanting to prove the machine functional first.
> I suspect that I'll run into the dual-core clock source timing
> issue, where everything will work fine for a while, then at
> random times the machine will spew xruns like mad.  This machine
> runs jack 0.100 and a 2.6.12 kernel.  I don't think either of
> those works around the dual-core bug yet.  Although I've heard
> that the jack folks are trying to get that to work.
>
> It took a bit of work to make my Celeron system work nicely for
> audio.  It's running Mandrake 10.1.  What advice can you give us
> on setting up a 64-bit Makdriva machine?
>
> Thanks....
> --
> Kevin

Argg, missed this message. Though really i don't have a lot of useful
input. Be afraid. Be very afraid. I can't get this machine to perform
well using the RT kernel. Apart from that standard optimisation stuff
works fine. Lots of stuff needs to be compiled as packages are pretty
limited, though MDE has a lot more stuff for x86_64 now than a few
months ago. I haven't run into any programs that just wont work on 64
though. Some stuff requires quite a lot of makefile hacking though. My
CFLAGS go like export CFLAGS="-fPIC -march=athlon64 -mtune=athlon64
-msse2 -mfpmath=sse -O3 -ftree-vectorize"
I'm not sure if ardour build bug is fixed mantis says it's not, but on
mandriva the scons file requires a small change adding the arch flags
to the link flags, otherwise the linker trys to link against no
existant 32 bit libs. Apart from that i don't have any hints, i'd love
to here some though.

Loki