[linux-audio-user] Companies Refusing to Release/Permit Linux Drivers

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 19:54:08 EST 2006

On 2/25/06, Dana Olson <dana at ubuntustudio.com> wrote:
> On 2/25/06, Maluvia <terakuma at imbris.net> wrote:
> > Just went back and reread the thread re: Plextor drivers, as we are looking to buy a DVD-burner, and have been very happy with our Plexwriter, and previous Plextor CD burner.
> > (Also read the entire thread on cdfreaks.com re:Pxlinux )
> >
> > This is the second time this month I've run into a situation where a hardware manufacturer is refusing both to release their own linux drivers/software, or the information necessary for others to write their own.
> >
> > This makes no rational sense to me.
> > How on earth does it harm them to allow someone else, on their own time and own dime, to write a driver or program for another OS, unless the company is planning to write their own drivers/software and sell them - which in the case of both Plextor and RME does not appear to be the case.
> >
> > Allowing 3rd party drivers/software can only increase the market for their products, as they will then be usable on a broader array of operating systems. Bigger market = more $$ for them, doesn't it?
> > What possible gain is there for them to coerce users into using a M$ OS?
> >
> > Unless . . . . .
> > Not being a programmer, or knowing what is involved in writing drivers I am just wondering:
> > could it be that MS is refusing to release whatever code is necessary for the hardware manufacturers to write their MS-compatible drivers/software unless they acquiesce to some sort of exclusivity agreement - i. e. agree to neither write Linux (or other OS) drivers/sw, nor release their own hw info that would allow anyone else to do so?
> >
> > I just cannot think of any other reason why hardware manufacturers would want to lock their product into a single OS.
> >
> > - Maluvia
>

> I can understand, at this stage in the game, some companies not
> supporting Linux officially, but being outright hostile such as
> Plextor?? That is not acceptable. I'll never buy any [overpriced]
> Plextor hardware. What is the reason? Is it even legal what they are
> doing? I don't know the answers, but it hurts my head to even think
> about it.

Don't be so hard on Plextor (or RME for that matter)  Both have been
quite open providing developer kits and specs for OSS devs for many of
their products. Just because they may choose not to for some of their
products doesn't make them evil. It's their product and they can do
what they want with it. If you don't like it, buy something else.

-Reuben