[linux-audio-user] Companies Refusing to Release/Permit Linux Drivers

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sat Feb 25 20:25:40 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 18:54 -0600, Reuben Martin wrote:
> Don't be so hard on Plextor (or RME for that matter)  Both have been
> quite open providing developer kits and specs for OSS devs for many of
> their products. Just because they may choose not to for some of their
> products doesn't make them evil. It's their product and they can do
> what they want with it. If you don't like it, buy something else.

The plextor situation is pretty bad - certain SCSI commands are
encrypted to make reverse engineering them a DMCA violation.  If this is
the future of hardware we are f**ked - it won't be possible to run Linux
on a PC in 5 years.  It's VERY important to let Plextor know that they
will be punished in the marketplace for this type of behavior.

Lee