[linux-audio-user] Making alsa multi-client

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Mon Feb 27 10:04:49 EST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 23:56, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
wrote:
> > Thanks. Looks interesting but I am not clear how to use it without
> > oss, alsaplayer, etc. I just want the hw:0 or other device to be
> > multiclient.
>
> Impossible - the hardware cannot do this.

Obviously, my card cannot. What I had in mind was an analog of virmidi which
viraudio:0, viraudio:1 ... would OR into hw:0. Might be doable with
a .soundrec (I have never used one). My point was that I want to do it all in
alsa, no oss, . Jack of course does all this just fine except for apps with
no jack support.