[linux-audio-user] Re: Griffin iMic

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 20:36:02 EST 2006

On 2/28/06, Kenneth Dombrowski <kdombrowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I see there are a few people here who have a Griffin iMic, and are
> using it successfully.  I bought one a few months ago, and have tried
> several distros & kernel versions, but have never been able to get it
> to work
>
> Current machine is running latest Ubuntu, with kernel 2.6.12-10-386,
> alsa-utils version 1.0.9a-4ubuntu5.  uhci_hcd recognizes the card &
> snd_usb_audio is automatically loaded.
>
> If I open the Gnome Sound Recorder, I can select the device "iMic USB
> Audio System (Alsa Mixer)" under Run Mixer->File->Change Device, turn
> up the volume, and hit "Record", but the resulting file is silent
>
> I've also tried "arecord -Dplughw:0,1 -f cd -t wav test.wav" &
> audacity using /dev/dsp1 as the recording device, again, the files are
> silent
>
> I have verified that there is sound going into the iMic, & just to be
> sure, tried both jacks/switch positions on the iMic itself.  I'm
> beginning to think the thing is a dud, but am hoping someone can point
> out something I am doing wrong
>
> Oh, I have never been able to get sound from the builtin mic jack
> either.. the audio controller is Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW
> (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
>

> Thanks!
> Kenneth

have you got sound out of the imic? Have you got levels right? use
alsamixer to check. Is the audio module loaded? If so kill it, then
burn/maim it. OSS module, shouldn't be loaded. I've used it on a bunch
of different machines with many different kernels. I'm running
2.6.12-12.mm.2mdk here, though x86_64. The griffin does sound great
when you get it working. Well, compared to my SB live the thing sounds
wonderful. ;-)

Loki