[linux-audio-user] Re: Griffin iMic

Kenneth Dombrowski kdombrowski at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:28:33 EST 2006

On 2/27/06, Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:

> have you got sound out of the imic? Have you got levels right? use
> alsamixer to check. Is the audio module loaded? If so kill it, then
> burn/maim it. OSS module, shouldn't be loaded. I've used it on a bunch
> of different machines with many different kernels. I'm running
> 2.6.12-12.mm.2mdk here, though x86_64. The griffin does sound great
> when you get it working. Well, compared to my SB live the thing sounds
> wonderful. ;-)

Hi Loki,

Thanks for the quick reply!

"Sound out of the iMic"... do you mean bypassing the USB port?  should
I be able to test the mic input using the phones output?  (I'm not in
front of it @ the moment, but I had the impression it was either
mic-to-USB, or USB-to-phones)

everything that can be turned up in alsamixer is turned up.  I never
have had very good luck messing with alsa though; and was mostly
trusting that to this freshly-installed ubuntu :^(

I think the snd_*_oss modules are alsa's oss-compatibility thing, not
oss itself?

kenneth at scivola:~$ lsmod | egrep 'audio|oss'
snd_usb_audio          68160  0
snd_usb_lib            13824  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hwdep               8608  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_pcm_oss            46368  0
snd_mixer_oss          16128  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                78344  4
snd_usb_audio,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd                    48644  12
snd_usb_audio,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
usbcore               104316  8
snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbvision,hci_usb,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

kenneth at scivola:~$ egrep 'AUDIO|OSS' /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST=m
CONFIG_ISDN_AUDIO=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_SND_PDAUDIOCF=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=m

There is an instance of esd running, might that get in the way too?

The sound is a little funny in other ways, w/XMMS for instance, the
GUI volume slider doesn't have an effect; nor does the PCM slider in
aumix, I have used aumix's Volume to adjust it.  Also, when I open
audacity from the menu, the Gnome desktop makes a silly little noise &
causes audacity to not be able to initialize the appropriate device

I found an ubuntuforums howto called "Happy ALSA, OSS, ESD, with
Duplex - Sound Settings", I'll try going through that this evening

Thanks again,
Kenneth