[linux-audio-user] Re: Frontier Design Tranzport working

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Jan 5 02:36:15 EST 2006

Quoting Mike Taht <mike.taht at gmail.com>:

> I got one for pre-christmas, but (given that my primary use for it is
> ardour, and ardour is too much in flux to use) haven't done much with
> it yet. I was basically going to hack some X keyboard synthesis tool
> to make it send along events.... but I'm sure if someone on the list
> were to get more motivated about the tranzport I could help out.

By hacking together, i assume you mean by using
http://tranzport.sourceforge.net/ ?

Can I suggest you a route to go about? Don't send keyboard events to ardour.
That will make the software unreliable (focus changes, tranzport "dies").
There are better options: Ardour responds to MTC/MMC. You can make a piece
of software which listens to the tranzport events, translates them into
MTC/MMC and sends them to a alsa sequencer port.

This means that you can use the tranzport to control ardour, any other
software which uses MTC/MMC, _and_ all external equipment who support it.

Of course, this way you can't get all the cool information like metering,
track names, etc. which you would get with better ardour integration. Otoh,
this way you get yourself acquainted with the device and it will help you
when the time comes to write the "real" driver for ardour.

  Sampo