[linux-audio-user] Re: M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Peter Clarke pgclarke at beeb.net
Thu Jan 5 06:57:00 EST 2006

Markus Herhoffer <markus at herhoffer.net> wrote:

> I've been using the M-Audio Midisport 2x2 together with
> the Maya 44 USB for a long time and it worked quite well.
> But after an update of ALSA only the Maya 44 works. The
> module 'snd-usb-audio' is loaded properly and the device
> is recognized by the system. I've also put
> 'snd-usb-audio' on the blacklist of hotplug, because
> hotplug makes some real trouble with USB audio devices.

I had exactly the same problem when updating Gentoo
recently.  Hans Fugal kindly tried to help me on this list
on 6 Dec 2005, and sent me this informative link:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1353514&group_id=87777&atid=584353

However, that didn't fix it for me.  Now, I have an ugly
workaround in place:  a little script that gets run
by /etc/conf.d/local.start, which contains the following:

#! /bin/bash
modprobe snd-usb-audio
cd /usr/share/usb/midisport
fxload -D /proc/bus/usb/004/003 MidiSportLoader.ihx -I \
MidiSport2x2.ihx
exit

This works, provided that the MidiSport is always at the
same USB bus address;  in your case, you will have to
change the /004/003 to /002/003.

Hope that helps.

I'm interested by your comment "hotplug makes some real
trouble with USB audio devices".  I'm having trouble
getting the audio side of my Novation Speedio (a USB audio
and MIDI interface) to work properly (as per previous posts
on this list) - could this be related?  If so, what do I do
to run it without hotplug?

Just one more comment while I'm mailing the list:  if anyone
uses the Proteus 2000 (a hardware synth), you might be
interested in having a copy of a spreadsheet I've prepared,
which has descriptions of all the drums and percussion
sounds in the ROM it ships with.  Let me know.

Peter C