[linux-audio-user] rlimit problem on opensuse 10.0: pam_limits: unknown limit item 'rtprio'

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Fri Jan 6 05:54:30 EST 2006

Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> hi everyone!
>

> after some time of job-induced absence from audio work, i have tried to
> bring my audio workstation up to date again.
>
> the problem is that i can't get realtime privileges.
>
> arch is x86_64, distro is opensuse 10.0, i'm using the distro kernel,
> which is a 2.6.13 with additional patches.
>
> my /etc/security/limits.conf:
>
> @realtime       -       memlock         128000
> @realtime       -       nice            10
> @realtime       -       rtprio          70
>
> the account i use is member of @realtime.
>
> on login, i get
>
> Jan  6 00:01:38 kleineronkel pam_limits[13812]: unknown limit item 'nice'
> Jan  6 00:01:38 kleineronkel pam_limits[13812]: unknown limit item
> 'rtprio'
>
> and jack tells me it can't get rt scheduling. memlock works, though.
>
> i browsed the kernel source, and it looks like the rlimit patch is there.
>
> pam is recent:
>
> pam-0.80-6
> pam_ldap-178-3
> pam-modules-10.0-11.2
>
> the bash is not yet rlimits-aware (ulimit does not know about nice and
> rtprio), but that should not be a problem, right?
>
> is there a /proc or /sys file associated with the rlimits patch, so that
> i can make sure my running kernel has it? or any other command-line
> tools that might help to find the problem?
>

> any hints appreciated.

Yes, highly appreciated indeed. I'm on opensuse 10.0 too, and after
realizing that rlimits are not working OTOB I always find myself patching
the original kernel-source with realtime-lsm, over and over again.

AFAICT the question really is _why_ the rlimits is not working on
opensuse10 kernel-2.6.13-15.7 ? pam-0.80 looks to be rtprio ready ...

Anyone else?
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org