[linux-audio-user] rlimit problem on opensuse 10.0: pam_limits: unknown limit item 'rtprio'

Michael Bohle core at jacklab.net
Fri Jan 6 16:31:59 EST 2006

> AFAICT the question really is _why_ the rlimits is not working on
> opensuse10 kernel-2.6.13-15.7 ? pam-0.80 looks to be rtprio ready ...

Same but different problem here.

As I do write in a posting before, our project jacklab working on a
opensuse based audio distribution named jad. For this we have to create
a standard opensuse 10.0 kernel with rt.

As Takashi giving us the advice, to using rtlimits / PAM instead of
rt-lsm.
So I asked in this mailinglist
http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2005/12/0258.html
Who has experiences with PAM?

The answer from Burghard Ritter:
> If you are using a recent kernel (>=2.6.12) and a recent pam-package
> (>=0.80) then, if I am right, everything sould already be working.
> You
> would adjust the limits.conf to contain something like
>

> @audio - rtprio 100
> @audio - nice -10
> @audio - memlock 4000000
>

> Thus the group audio could run programs with realtime privileges.

Today we finshed a suse flavoured kernel with full realtime preemt.
2.6.15 with rt-patch ver rt1 and some other fixes (ipv6, some suse
patches)

I edited /etc/security/limits.conf as descripted by Burghard but I can't
get jackd to start.

> jack_create_thread: error -1 switching current thread to rt for inheritance: Unknown error 4294967295

Mooo...
Now we plan to patch some rt-lsm in our kernel...

Michael