[linux-audio-user] Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Jan 6 12:50:27 EST 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 18:22, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     NH> Hi Laura. Lee Revell posted a reply to someone else on this thread.
> You may NH> have missed it. He says to make sure that "Synth" volume is up,
> so I think NH> that's saying that with the "Live" card, "Synth" equates
> with "Music" on my NH> Audigy2.
>
> Yes, I got that.  That's one of the things I'd already upped.
>
>     NH> Also he asked for the output of:
>     NH> cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1
>
>     NH> Would you post the output of this please, as it will confirm
>     NH> if the soundfont is loaded.
>
> [~]# cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1
> Device: Emu10k1
> Ports: 4
> Addresses: 65:0 65:1 65:2 65:3
> Use Counter: 0
> Max Voices: 64
> Allocated Voices: 0
> Memory Size: 134217728
> Memory Available: 130711440
> Allocated Blocks: 458
> SoundFonts: 1
> Instruments: 1789
> Samples: 456
> Locked Instruments: 1789
> Locked Samples: 456
> You have mail in /var/spool/mail/lconrad
> [~]#
>
> Could the fact that all the samples are locked be relevant?  How would
> I unlock them?

No. Thats just fine as it is, apart from you only having half the number of
instruments that I have, but at least confirms that the soundfont is loaded.
If no soundfont was loaded, the first 8 lines would be the same. The line:
Allocated Blocks: would show "1" , and all the rest of the lines would show
"0" .

The soundfont I have loaded is the one from the Creative CDROM. It is
CT4MGM.SF2, and shows "Instruments:  3560" when loaded .

Are there any larger soundfonts on your Creative CDROM? I've no idea, but
perhaps the soundfont is not large enough to play the midi file that you are
trying.

If you do use KDE. Try Kmid, which even though it crashes now and again, at
least I know it plays midi files ok.  Nigel.