[linux-audio-user] Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Sat Jan 7 09:34:41 EST 2006

    NH> Also he asked for the output of:
    NH> cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1
    >>
    NH> Would you post the output of this please, as it will confirm
    NH> if the soundfont is loaded.
    >>
    >> [~]# cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1
    >> Device: Emu10k1
    >> Ports: 4
    >> Addresses: 65:0 65:1 65:2 65:3
    >> Use Counter: 0
    >> Max Voices: 64
    >> Allocated Voices: 0
    >> Memory Size: 134217728
    >> Memory Available: 130711440
    >> Allocated Blocks: 458
    >> SoundFonts: 1
    >> Instruments: 1789
    >> Samples: 456
    >> Locked Instruments: 1789
    >> Locked Samples: 456
    >> You have mail in /var/spool/mail/lconrad
    >> [~]#
    >>

    NH> Are there any larger soundfonts on your Creative CDROM? I've no idea, but
    NH> perhaps the soundfont is not large enough to play the midi file that you are
    NH> trying.

This font is the one that's worked in the past when I've had MIDI
working.  I do have others.

I just loaded the one with the largest file size, 4GMGSMT.SF2, and it
looks more like yours, but still doesn't make noise when I play MIDI:

[~]# cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1
Device: Emu10k1
Ports: 4
Addresses: 65:0 65:1 65:2 65:3
Use Counter: 0
Max Voices: 64
Allocated Voices: 0
Memory Size: 134217728
Memory Available: 130183486
Allocated Blocks: 490
SoundFonts: 1
Instruments: 3560
Samples: 488
Locked Instruments: 3560
Locked Samples: 488

    NH> If you do use KDE. Try Kmid, which even though it crashes now and again, at
    NH> least I know it plays midi files ok.  Nigel.

It seems to do the same thing as the command line players -- look like
it's playing,  but not produce any sound.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011