[linux-audio-user] Xi instruments

Emiliano Grilli emillo at libero.it
Wed Jan 11 08:22:58 EST 2006

CC'ed to the soundtracker-discuss ml

mercoled?, 11 gennaio 2006 alle 07:45:59, Dave Phillips ha scritto:
> >>Sorry, what do you mean by "dismissed software"?
> >>

> >He probably refers to the fact that the main developer does not mantain
> >the program anymore. However there is a guy (Yury Aliaev) who
> >contributed bugfixes and who's writing a gtk2 port, so the project isn't
> >dead. The gtk2 port can be found here: http://metamorph0sis.nm.ru/
> >

> That link currently reports a temporary error.

Here it works...

> I'm happy to hear that Yury is continuing ST's development.

The gtk2 version is working, I have managed to crash it a couple of
times but overall the port seem in good status.

> >I had a great time with soundtracker and used it a lot in the past, but
> >the fact that it doesn't support jack (at least not reliably) kind of
> >discourage its use...
> >

> Kai Vehmanen wrote a patch that gave it rudimentary JACK capability, but
> I think the patch won't work with current JACK versions. Don't quote me
> on that, I haven't tested it recently. Maybe Kai can be persuaded to
> update it for Yury ?

Yes I remember that patch, I used it for a while and it had also basic
jack_transport capability. I saw that the debian mantainer dropped the
jack support for ST a while ago, so I guess you're right about JACK
versions. I can't remember if Kai's patch was only for adding
jack_transport or for jack support (maybe jack output is already on
original ST sources).

> >I really don't grasp cheesetracker as I come from fast tracker and you
> >know, impulse tracker vs. fast tracker was a sort of religious war like
> >emacs vs. vi :)
> >

> Happily, I can use both. CT is a very nice tracker, but like yourself I
> simply prefer ST. However, CT does have some cool features I'd like to
> see in ST.

> >soundtracker is a great program, and I sincerely hope one day it would gain
> >jack support and jack_transport features. This would put it back "on the
> >road again" in my setup.
> >

> ++agree.
>
> >Trackers may seem a thing of the past, but as James Shuttleworth has
> >repeatedly proved on this list (BTW great music, James) they can be
> >great tools for music creation.
> >

> Tracking may be in partial eclipse on Linux, but it's definitely alive
> and kicking elsewhere.
>
> Has anyone else on this list taken a look at SkaleTracker ? I like it
> but the Linux version is incomplete at this point.

I've had a quick look at skaletracker a year ago or so, it was looking
good but a little slow. Unfortunately, the site states that

"We have created this program to you all. This will be free (NO CHARGE)
to use for the Scene. (NOT OPEN SOURCE)"

So, it is freeware but not free. I'm not so rigid in this respect, but
if you look at what happened to buzz (another great program IMHO): buzz
can run fairly well under wine, but for sure there will be no further
development on it, since the author lost the sources after a disk
crash. If the sources were published, this wouldn't be occurred.

> >Cheers,
> >

> Ciao ! :)
>
> dp

Ciao