[linux-audio-user] Music made with Linux

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 16 16:55:55 EST 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 16:33, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Jan, 2006 at 08:30AM -0600, Jan Depner spake thus:
>>     I wrote this about a week after the storm.  Later my daughter
>> worked on the melody and a bit on the lyrics.  It was recorded in
>> Ardour (qjackctl/JACK), mastered with JAMin, and trimmed with
>> Audacity.  It's in mp3 for my poor benighted Windoze using friends.
>>
>>     It is dedicated to Sam who didn't die in the lower ninth ward
>> but in Pass Christian, MS with his two year old son.
>>
>> http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/katrina.mp3
>
>I didn't get chance to listen to this for quite a while, but I'm glad
>that I managed it.
>
>One of the best tracks I've heard on these lists - although I have to
>echo what a few people have said about the vocals.  They just need
>bringing out a little more.
>
>I also like the idea of songs that speak plainly about important
>events, if done properly.
>
>Badly done (which this isn't), they sound quite naive, cheesy and
>depthless.
>
>Done well (which I think this is), they feel like an alternative way
>to record history.  Which, of course, songs have been doing for as
>long as there were singers.  One of the more beautiful incarnations of
>oral history.
>
>Thanks for sharing.
>
>Another criticism, and one I think is more important than quibling
>over small changes to vocals, is the copyright.
>
>You obviously want people to hear it, so why restrict copying?  I
>can't mail this to a friend, make a copy for my walkman or do any of
>the many things that would get this listened to by a wider audience
>than the list.

'scuse me?  I have yet to see a copyright notice of any kind, and yes, I
was somewhat concerned.  What os and player program are your using that
is causeing these 'restrictions'?

And to Jan, what are your terms?  I saved it for replay here, and even
sent it to another local friend who has done some similar work, and he
liked it too.  But I surely don't want to be looked at as a pirate. So
what do I do next?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: