[linux-audio-user] Re: x86_64 and ingo's realtime patches, works?

Noah Roberts roberts.noah at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:30:11 EST 2006

On 1/17/06, Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 09:52 +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> > > Has anyone actually got this working? If so how and with what
> > > settings? I've got 2.6.15 with  patch-2.6.15-rt2 to compile fine and
> > > boot but the irq handlers seem to use 90% of cpu and the system really
> > > feels like it's chugging, everything takes 10 to 100 times longer to
> > > load, and anything musical is impossible. I'm running amd64 3000 on an
> > > ati chipset based mb. All normal modules, nothing external. I've tried
> > > with a number of older kernels / patches but i'm wondering if there is
> > > a magic collection that actually works. ;-)
> >
> > Which IRQ handlers?  Is this an SMP system/kernel?  If you enable
> > latency tracing what does /proc/latency_trace say?
> >
> > Lee
> >

> I'm not currently running it for obvious reasons. I'll reboot and
> check but i'm pretty sure it's called something like irq_timer not
> actually irq 11 or anything like that. This is a single core, non-smp
> system. I haven't got latency tracing enabled, but i'll recompile with
> it and check.
>
> Has anyone got it actually working on x86_64 though?

Yes, I had up to 2.6.15-rt1 working but ran into too many problems
with various areas of running a 64 bit system that when I fried my HD
on accident I installed in legacy mode.  Too much just didn't work
right.  I haven't tried the RT kernel yet to see if certain areas of
the system still break, but already I am happier with the system as a
whole.