[linux-audio-user] rosegarden-4-1.0: can't seem to get any MIDI out ...

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Wed Jan 25 10:39:28 EST 2006

Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Markus Herhoffer wrote:
>
>> Midi has actually nothing to do with Jack. Jack cares only about
>> audio streams.
>
> I'm not convinced of that.  For example, I do need to "connect" (via
> qjackctl's "connect" screen, "MIDI" tab) "80:CS46xx" to "129:FLUID Synth"
> to be able to control that software with my MIDI controller.

I think the problem here is a confusion between the qjackctl GUI and
JACK itself.

When I launch qjackctl, the window is labelled JACK Audio Connection
Kit. Despite this, they are not the same.

Qjackctl is a GUI written to manage JACK; but, as I understand it, it
also provides direct control of ALSA MIDI connections.

> I continued testing and found that if I start JACK _after_ starting
> Rosegarden, it seems to do the right thing.  Should I perhaps simply have
> Rosegarden start Jack, or am I asking for different trouble if I do that?
> (I do still want to use JACK because some of the applications I expect
> to be making heavy use of use it or require it ...)

That's interesting. I have had various difficulties getting Rosegarden
to send MIDI to fluidsynth (managed with qsynth). Maybe I should try the
same?

Regards,
Michael