[linux-audio-user] Straw Poll: External MIDI

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Jan 27 13:37:56 EST 2006

tim hall wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'd like to take a straw poll on how many Linux Audio users make use of
>external MIDI devices. As a straight hands-up would be unlikely to yield
>useful results, perhaps people could suggest what percentage of
>external-MIDI-users exist within the LAU group. (As of Jan 06, say)
>
>Additional comments re: problems encountered whilst configuring MIDI are
>welcomed, but please start a new thread if you want to make bugreports.
>
>Thankyou, It would be useful for me to be able to formulate some kind of
>definitive answer on this subject.

On my desktop machine:

    SBLive Value with MIDI interface adapter
    2 Yamaha TX802 FM synths
    1 DMP11 mixer

On the laptop:

    MidiSport2x2
    Kawai K4r

But the truth is that I rarely use the synths anymore. If I can get FM7
running under WINE or fst then I'll probably sell the 802s.

No problems configuring either interface. Slight difficulties re: USB
MIDI were resolved thanks to Clemens' advice here on LAU.

Best,

dp