[linux-audio-user] Straw Poll: External MIDI

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Jan 27 15:06:17 EST 2006

On Friday 27 January 2006 17:28, tim hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to take a straw poll on how many Linux Audio users make use of
> external MIDI devices. As a straight hands-up would be unlikely to yield
> useful results, perhaps people could suggest what percentage of
> external-MIDI-users exist within the LAU group. (As of Jan 06, say)
>
> Additional comments re: problems encountered whilst configuring MIDI are
> welcomed, but please start a new thread if you want to make bugreports.
>
> Thankyou, It would be useful for me to be able to formulate some kind of
> definitive answer on this subject.
>
> tim hall
> http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim

Hi Tim. I may as well reply, as everone is pushing useable keyboards. Mine is
Evolution MK-225C, and works just fine, apart from the same problems that
Lars had with getting snd-usb-audio to load as the second card.

Incidentally: FC1, FC2 needed the alias's and options setting to load the
cards in the correct order. FC3 seems to have got over the problem, and set
them up correctly. Debian Sarge, I had to put the alias's and options
in /etc/modutils then run update-modules. Gentoo's genkernel didn't have
snd-usb-audio enabled in the kernel, so had to compile another kernel, and
enable it, along with adding realtime at the same time. Slackware 10.0 with
Audioslack's mm kernel I think set it up correctly without my interference.

I've also got a Zoom Rhythmtrak RT323 Drum machine. I havn't been able to try
this, as I left the backplate with the midi connection for the Audigy2
soundblaster in England. Does anyone know if this works ok? Also is there
something I could use to convert the midi out from the drum machine to USB
in?

I think keyboards are in the lead on this poll at the moment. Nigel.