[linux-audio-user] "DVD-A"paranoia?

The Other sstubbs at shout.net
Sun Jan 29 13:44:03 EST 2006

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

>I've got a DVD-A disc with residue on it, which won't wash off, and
>which causes a lot of skipping.  If this were a CD, I'd just use
>cdparanoia to rip it, then burn a fresh copy.  Does anyone know of
>something like that for Linux?  FWIW, I put the disc in my DVD+/-RW
>drive (Lite-on, if it matters) and its type wasn't recognized.

Take a look at Ripmake ...  www.lallafa.de/bp/ripmake.html

I have a DVD read only drive, so I haven't been able to copy DVD to
DVD.  However, I can copy DVD to AVI (usually produces 2 AVI files), and
can at least back up a DVD movie to CDRom disks.  You lose all
navigation features and special content, but the movie will play.

At the Ripmake site is 'cpdvd', a program to copy a DVD to your hard
disk drive.  You might be able to copy to hard disk drive and then burn
another DVD from the hard disk drive files.

There are other DVD backup programs that will do the same thing.  Google
for them.

Hope this helps,
Stephen.