[linux-audio-user] "DVD-A"paranoia?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sun Jan 29 20:27:13 EST 2006

On Sun January 29 2006 13:44, The Other wrote:
> Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> >I've got a DVD-A disc with residue on it, which won't wash
> I have a DVD read only drive, so I haven't been able to copy
> DVD to DVD.  However, I can copy DVD to AVI (usually produces
> 2 AVI files), and can at least back up a DVD movie to CDRom
> disks.  You lose all navigation features and special content,
> but the movie will play.

DVD-A stands for DVD-Audio.... it's an audio-only format, and it
isn't a standard DVD.

While DVD-A discs will often have the music in normal DVD audio
format to prevent people from returning the discs because it
won't play in their normal DVD players, only the DVD-A version
has the higher resolution audio (and often a fairly different
mix) and as far as I know there's nothing out there that rips
those yet.  On the one DVD-A I've played, the standard DVD audio
mix was the same stereo mix as was available on the normal CD
version of the album, eliminating the benefit of ripping it
(which I'm sure was their intent.)

Rob