[linux-audio-user] MIDI is freezing my computer

Denis Alessandro Altoe Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 10:50:18 EST 2006

Hello, you all!

I'm having some trouble trying to use MIDI with my external keyboard
(Yamaha PSR 620, well, not a big kb, but it's what I have for now...)

The system sudenly freezes when I try to start or stop a song in a
sequencer software. That happend with Muse and with Rosegarden, so I
think that is not a software problem. I have an Asus motherboard,
especifically an A7N8X-X, with the nForce2 chipset and embedded AC97
for audio. I am using the intel8x0 module and MIDI is working, at
least for some time. The motherboard didn't come with the (in)famous
joystick port, so I bought a homemade connector to put in the back of
my box. It is working relatively well and I don't know if this is the
guilt or not...

I searched the net for this behaviour but didn't have much luck. Has
anyone experienced this kind of problem? I mean, is there anyone who
uses MIDI with the nForce2 successfully? It is freezing constantly in
my system and the only way to go on is to reset the computer. I think
that the the one to blame is the chipset but would like to hear some
advices and experiences from others owners of this hardware.

Thanks in advance and best my reagards.