[linux-audio-user] [desktop] volume-control dockapp?

Brian Dunn job17and9 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 2 15:11:00 EDT 2006

carmen wrote:
> wmix, wmmixer, and wmsmixer: portage's short description claims all 3 support ALSA. one fails on "XpmError: XpmOpenFailed (.1986-2)" and the others fail on "no such device /dev/mixer", while -d hw:0,0(,0) just sends them for a loop
>
> gnome-panel has the perfect volume control, but then gnome-settings-daemon launches and screws up all the fonts, not to mention chews 15 or 30 mb of ram. and when you kill gnome-settings-daemon, the volume control button _disappears_ from the panel, while the other stuff stays
>
> in summary, is there a volume control for fluxbox that actually works?

I use keyboard shortcuts for volume control in fluxbox. take a look at this:
http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_edit_the_keys_file

if you want some visual feedback on your mixer, you can set up a
keyboard shortcut to launch good ole' alsamixer. something like

Mod4 m :Exec xterm -e alsamixer

here is the ~/.fluxbox/keys file i'm using on my laptop.

Mod4 t :exec aterm
Mod4 space :ShowDesktop
Mod4 x :ExecCommand xmmsXclip
Mod4 e :exec printenv | xmessage -file -
Mod4 Print :ExecCommand gnome-screenshot

none XF86AudioMute :exec amixer sset Master toggle
none XF86AudioLowerVolume :exec amixer sset Master 1-
none XF86AudioRaiseVolume :exec amixer sset Master 1+
none XF86WWW :exec firefox

Mod4 m :exec xterm -e alsamixer

The pretty little volume up, volume down keys work, thanks to the gentoo
wiki.

/brian