[linux-audio-user] [desktop] volume-control dockapp?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jul 2 16:25:55 EDT 2006

Hallo,
Brian Dunn hat gesagt: // Brian Dunn wrote:

> carmen wrote:
> >wmix, wmmixer, and wmsmixer: portage's short description claims all 3
> >support ALSA. one fails on "XpmError: XpmOpenFailed (.1986-2)" and the
> >others fail on "no such device /dev/mixer", while -d hw:0,0(,0) just sends
> >them for a loop
> >gnome-panel has the perfect volume control, but then gnome-settings-daemon
> >launches and screws up all the fonts, not to mention chews 15 or 30 mb of
> >ram. and when you kill gnome-settings-daemon, the volume control button
> >_disappears_ from the panel, while the other stuff stays
> >
> >in summary, is there a volume control for fluxbox that actually works?
> >

> I use keyboard shortcuts for volume control in fluxbox. take a look at this:
> http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_edit_the_keys_file

Another solution can be hotkeys:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/hotkeys

It catches events from special keys on many keyboards and starts
user-defined programs. It also can set the mixer and displays a nice
volume slider as an on-screen-display-bar (OSD). Unfortunatly it
seems, this is hardcoded to use the old OSS-mixer interface so it
won't work with for example the M-Audio Audiophile that I have in my
main machine but I'm using hotkeys on my laptop.

Ciao