[linux-audio-user] Re: ALSA MIDI Humanizer v0.0.1

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 19:24:03 EDT 2006

On 7/12/06, tim hall <tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 07 July 2006 15:23, John Anderson was like:
> > ONe of the things that I find somewhat grating about certain soundfonts
> > is that the vibrato on strings is always exactly the same. Some way to
> > give that some variation would also be nice.
>
> Absolutely. The range and shape of the variations could be programmed into
> the
> instrument definition and linked to a spare MIDI controller. I can forsee us
> deprecating MIDI in favour of something like OSC for serious work,
> eventually. Obviously the format will have to remain negotiable for
> backwards
> compatibility reasons, but by and large I find MIDI and soundfonts so
> horrendously limited as to be only really useful for demos. I'd like to see
> proper microtonal support in all sound-producing applications, currently
> only
> ZynAddSubFX handles this nicely. For me 12Tet at A=440Hz always sounds out of
> tune. YMMV. Not being a confident programmer I'm finding Csound,
> supercollider and even Pd et al., rather complicated to get into and I have
> taxi'd up the runway many times, great for experimenting, but I haven't made
> the time to learn how to produce quality results - I suspect most ordinary
> musicians won't either. In general, I'm finding the process of creating new
> instrument sounds to be less straightforward than I would like it to be, be
> that editing soundfonts, csound orchestras, ZynAddSubFX patches or whatever.
> Really I'm yearning for analog synths, I have fond memories of playing with
> MS10s, SH101s and my old Pro1 and the kind of resonant filter sweeps that
> are
> possible with analog filters. Is the sound I am looking for simply not
> possible digitally? Would anyone with the appropriate skills consider
> modelling VCS3 or Prophet filters in software? The closest application is
> probably Alsa Modular Synth for what I want (as I'd like to be able to
> filter
> samples too), but it does appear to have limitations. I shall persevere,
> obviously.
> --
> cheers,

ARRG you used the bad words!!!! AMS? I prefer a program that has a
release in the last 2 years, i find it edging to impossible to do
anything useful in  AMS at all. Get the svn version of om/ingen
http://www.nongnu.org/om-synth/  You can do a lot of nice analog style
stuff with it. Many of the smack patches are analog style.

Loki