[linux-audio-user] FreeAmp2 VST Plugin

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 06:22:53 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 00:09 +0000, carmen wrote:
> On Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 04:14:46PM -0700, DCZX wrote:
> > There's an amazing free VST plugin
>
> doesnt sound very free to me.. requires  50 euro of your time at the
> minimum to fiddle with finding the right VST SDK and wine version,
> getting things compiled/configged and then finding out if the plugin
> even runs. ever wonder why 90% of VST plugins are free but NONE come
> with source (and thats not including the ones made with SynthEdit)?
> smartelectronix, DFX, Tweakbenc, simulanalog are all like that.
>
> im not sure if they just figure nobody wants the source, or if
> theyre afraid steinborg is going to steal it and theyll have no way
> of proving it? someone needs to whip those bastages into shape..

I've wondered that too. I asked the Crystal author some time ago if he
was interested in open sourcing his synth, and offered to port it to
Linux if he did, but he replied (politely) that he wasn't interested.

I don't see the point in holding back on the source when you are
releasing the binaries for free, unless you have some kind of plan to
start charging for new versions of the binaries at some point in the
future.

--
Lars Luthman - please encrypt any email sent to me if possible
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x04C77E2E