[linux-audio-user] problem with new machine

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Jul 28 16:53:13 EDT 2006

st wrote:

> This could easily be th power supply.  Do you have another case handy?

Not one with a sufficient PS. :(

> The next thing I would do is to take out every card and
> hard drive, and see if the thing beeps.  If it does,
> add the video card back in (make sure no onboard devices
> conflict!), then the first hard drive, and so-on.  If you
> have no joy, then I say it's power supply, CPU, mother board,
> in that order.  You will simply have to swap them out to find out.

That looks like the order of the day. Alas, I probably won't get to it
until later this weekend.

> Also, are you sure that your power supply can handle your
> setup?  Removing the drives might help find out.  If you
> are drawing too many amps from the power supply, I would
> expect the sort of behaviour that you are experiencing.
> It seems like 500W is par for the course these days.

The Sonata II comes with a 450W PS, it should be good enough for this
system.

> Also, don't tell me that you turned the power on EVEN FOR A SECOND
> without a greased and powered cpu cooler attached.

No fear, the CPU is covered by a massive Zalman fan. Power hasn't
remained on for more than a second anyway.

I'll take out drives etc., will see what happens next.

Best,

dp