[linux-audio-user] problem with new machine

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 16:41:34 EDT 2006

On 7/28/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>   Well, the hardware has been assembled, but I have a show-stopper of a
> problem. When I try to start the machine I get a flash from the cool
> blue lights on my Antec case, the CPU fan does a little jig, then
> nothing. :(
>
>   So how do I go about diagnosing this thing ? All possible connections
> have been made between the case, the power supply, and the mobo. I've
> scoured the manuals for those pieces, I can't see that I've missed
> connecting anything.
>
>   Here's the main machine parts:
>
>     MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard
>     AMD64 CPU
>     Antec Sonata II case with power supply
>     1 GB RAM in slot 1
>     Seagate Barracuda drive
>     Lite-on DVD/CD RW drive
>
>   Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'd like to get this iron running
> myself, the bench fees at the local shops are outrageous.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Sorry to hear about the problems.

If you aren't getting beep codes then you have apretty fundamental
problem indicating the processor is not taking the initial jump to
BIOS.

1) Remove all PCI cards
2) If the MB has an onboard VGA and you have an AGP VGA installed then
remove the AGP card and use the onboard VGA
3) Disconnect power and cabling to all hard drives and DVD drives

4) Power up and see if you get different results.

If it still fails then there are a few possibilities:

YOU ARE NOT ROOT CAUSE:
1) Bad MB
2) Bad PS
3) Bad processor
4) Bad memory

YOU ARE ROOT CAUSE
1) Bad PS connections
2) Bent pins on the processor if you were the person who set it. (Or
even if someone else did.)

You can pull the processor and double check that no pins were bent
when you put it in. You can also look into resetting the memory DIMMs.

I wish I could be of more help Dave. I've been through these things
before. I've had every problem mentioned above. Good luck finding the
root cause.

Cheers,
Mark