[linux-audio-user] Re: S/PDIF capture with m-audio 2496

Tommi Sakari Uimonen tuimonen at cc.hut.fi
Mon Jul 31 05:45:07 EDT 2006

>> Rob Jackson wrote:
>>> Could anyone please give me a step-by-step guide to setting up my
>>> m-audio 2496 to capture from the S/PDIF? I am trying to record into
>>> either Audacity or Ardour, but cannot 'find' any sound.
>
> As far as I can see, there are no routing possibilities for input S/PDIF
> on an m-audio 2496 using the envy24control. For output, you can route any
> channel to s/pdif in hardware using that program.
>
> So what you have to do, is to use channel 9 and 10 instead, which I guess is
> hardwired to s/pdif in. (Maybe you could also mess around with .asoundrc, a
> third option is to hack the snd-ice1712 driver)

Channels 11 and 12 resemble the digital mixer, so basically you can route
whatever input to the mixer and record the mixer. This way you can mix
analog inputs with digital input and record the result.

Channes 9 and 10 are the spdif channels yes (though asoundrc counts them
as 8 and 9 since it starts numbering from zero).

At least I have managed to record from spdif and from digital mixer. I
don't remember if it was the default settings or modified ones and I don't
have the settings anymore.

Tommi