[linux-audio-user] Three last tracks

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Jun 1 06:04:07 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 13:52, Paul Davis was like:
> On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 11:40 +0100, tim hall wrote:
> > It's hard to listen to a cover of this song as the original has such a
> > peculiar numinous quality that has little to do with the notes played.
> > This is how Tim Blake would do it I guess. I was looking forward to a bit
> > more
>
> whoa! did somebody just say Tim Blake? Crystal Machine!! Cosmic Eggs!
> VCS3's! make that ARP2600 twinkle! woohoo!

!-)

I have still never heard anything that comes close to those filters. I confess
to being a big fan of resonant filter sweeps. You can blame Blakey for that.
OK, and Basil & Tom Brooks, Gwyo, Gavin "da Blitz" and Joie Hinton too.

> seriously though, "New Jerusalem" is a standout of its genre. whatever
> its genre actually is :)

New-age synth music, really. I regard him as one of the original synth
pioneers along with Tangerine Dream and the BBC radiophonic workshop.

I can report that he is miraculously still alive, he came and played at my
venue last year, So I actually got to see Tim Blake play _in_ New Jerusalem,
which was nice. ;) We had something like 3 VCS3's in the building and one of
the original synthi100's on that day (not all his I might add).

Tim's set included a cover of "Spirit of the Age" - Yves reworking of
Astronomy Domine reminded me of this in approach.
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim
We are the people We've been waiting for.