[linux-audio-user] ecasound interactive mode

Kai Vehmanen kvehmanen at eca.cx
Sun Jun 4 15:33:36 EDT 2006

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Paul Coccoli wrote:

> On 5/25/06, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen at eca.cx> wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  One other question: is there a way to play one
> file followed immediately by another, without having to first append
> one to the other?

short answer: not as easy as you'd like.

You can sort of do it with the ewf files [1], but with limited
functionality. Depends a lot on the use-case whether the ewf-files are
sufficient for your use.

This has been a much asked ecasound feature (and has been for many years).
There clearly is a need for easier-to-use software for doing simple audio
clip sequencing from the command-line and scripts. You can do these things
with various tools (ecasound, sox, csound, plus many, many others), but
either the tools are too powerful for the task in hand (-> too complex),
or are functionally limited.

I'd really like to improve ecasound in this area, but so far I've just not
had the time (and clearly we are not talking about a trivial task). There
has been a ewf-v2.0 development effort (ecasound 'edi-20' devel item)
going on since November 2001, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that
one. ;) And the ewf-v2.0 is probably a dead end anyways. I think the
basic operations should be doable straight from the command line, making
it much more usable for scripts and other similar apps (like say, a script
for adding a short commercial sound clip to thousands of audio files ;)).

[1] http://eca.cx/ecasound/Documentation/users_guide/html_uguide/users_guide.html#htoc37

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv