[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 33, Issue 34

Derry Fitzgerald derry.fitzgerald at cit.ie
Wed Jun 14 08:07:21 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 12:15, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:15:46 +0200
> From: Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladolidt at terra.es>
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Remixing
> To: linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu
>
> Jonty Needham escribe:
> > I understand (from Google) there is a method by which one samples the
> > track minus the vocals and then adds the inversion of that to the track
> > to kill the instruments.
>
> AFAIK you can do left channel minus right channel so you're killing
> whatever it's in the middle of the stereo field, which usually are
> vocals. This work for karaoke. But I don't know a way to kill
> everything except the middle of the stereo field, and I don't think
> it's posible.
>
> (Being able to isolate something in a precise point of the stereo
> field would be the Holy Grail of audio production if it was posible!)
>
> Cordially, Ismael

Actually, it is possible to isolate something in a precise point of the stereo
field, and separate it out - have a look at:

http://www.dmc.dit.ie/2002/research_ditme/dnbarry/adress.html

and check out the audio examples, they are worth a listen,

Derry

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by legal and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in error please contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. The Institute does not guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and is not liable if the information contained in this communication is not a proper and complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor for any delay in its receipt.