[linux-audio-user] Recording ADAT inputs on RME hammerfall 9636/52

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jun 20 07:39:53 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 22:51 -0700, Stephen Cameron wrote:
> So, another dumb question from a hardheaded linux audio user
> (is there any other kind? ;-)
>
> I've got an RME hammerfall lite (9636/52)
> I've got a Yamaha AW4416 with an MY8AT module (8 channels ADAT i/o).
> I've got fibre cables connecting them together.
>
> The Yamaha seems happy, reporting 8 channels locked at 48kHz.
>
> What I don't have is any idea how to get anything good to
> happen on the linux side.  I've been googling my brains out
> for the last two or three months, and the very best information
> I have been able to find anywhere is this 3 year old thread:
>
> http://www.music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2003-March/003328.html
>
> Which in turn recommands alsa-lib/doc/asoundrc.txt
>
> which, looking at that, doesn't really help much at all, I'm afraid,
> you pretty much have to know how it works already in
> order to make head or tail of it.

a) make sure you are on a distro that makes hdspconf and hdspmixer
available. several braindead distributions have removed the alsa package
that includes these tools from their repositories.

b) run hdspmixer to initialize the HDSP mixer to a sane default

c) use hdspconf to set the clock master/slave relationship between the
the AW4416 and the HDSP. i would recommend *not* use ADAT autosync for
anything critical - i do not find it 100% reliable. you're better off
getting a word clock cable. personally, i would make the HDSP the master
and the AW4416 the slave, but you may prefer it the other way around.

d) run JACK-enabled software.

e) profit!

--p