[linux-audio-user] Recording ADAT inputs on RME hammerfall 9636/52

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 12:38:35 EDT 2006

--- Stephen Cameron <smcameron at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> It's really a very nice, convenient machine for
> tracking.

Until you want to record and monitor 8+ tracks. And
then it's infuriating.

  Not so good for editing, and there's no
> nice
> way to get things into or out of it.  Mostly
> what little music I do is internet collaborations,
> so I end up with a process like this:
>
> download/decode tracks (mp3 ->wav), burn cds,
> import tracks to AW, record my parts, burn cds,
> import tracks to pc, encode/upload.  Rather tedious.

I think you can redesign for a much better studio. Is
your PC hardware capable of running jackd without
xruns?

> Would be nice to transform that process to:
>
> download/decode tracks, transfer to AW over ADAT
> cables, record my parts, transfer to PC over ADAT
> cables, encode/upload tracks.

Don't use the HDR but use the mixer and monitoring
interfaces with i/o routed to the RME card all the
time. Record to the AW HDR at a remote locations;
practice space, bar, etc.

I'm looking at your setup while occupied with
something else. Am I overlooking your reasons for
recording to the AW?

Ron