[linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 20:22:35 EDT 2006

On 6/20/06, carmen <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:

> yes, the situation is pretty bad.. i even had to switch my mom back to winXP from Gnome, since she complained about her brand new 2ghz sempron being 'too slow'...

Boy, I understand that situation. I've finally managed to get DRI
working on my wife's 32-bit machine with an Intel chipset with
built-in VGA, but I can't seem to get DRI working on my AMD64 with a
PCI-Express ATI card, nor on my son's old machine with  an older
off-beat card. (No suprise there I suppose...)

I was talking to a guy I saw reading Linux Journal in a coffee shop
this afternoon. We both agreed that Linux's major problem for the
average user is not the way it operates but the problems of
configuring it. Once set up it's great. The path to get it set up,
while hugely better than a few years ago, is just way beyond what
anyone should have to do.

Cheers,
Mark