[linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 00:11:26 EDT 2006

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/20/06, carmen <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:
> >
> > yes, the situation is pretty bad.. i even had to
> switch my mom back to winXP from Gnome, since she
> complained about her brand new 2ghz sempron being
> 'too slow'...
> >

> Boy, I understand that situation. I've finally
> managed to get DRI
> working on my wife's 32-bit machine with an Intel
> chipset with
> built-in VGA, but I can't seem to get DRI working on
> my AMD64 with a
> PCI-Express ATI card, nor on my son's old machine
> with  an older
> off-beat card. (No suprise there I suppose...)
>
> I was talking to a guy I saw reading Linux Journal
> in a coffee shop
> this afternoon. We both agreed that Linux's major
> problem for the
> average user is not the way it operates but the
> problems of
> configuring it. Once set up it's great. The path to
> get it set up,
> while hugely better than a few years ago, is just
> way beyond what
> anyone should have to do.

Some setup challanges really suck. I've been doing my
best to be a hardcore Linux user for several years but
it's hard to do because I spend to much time
administrating. I'm about to give up and dive deeper
into the mess by taking some online C programming
classes. I figure spending $400 per class will piss me
off so much that I'll actually learn something.

Is Windows any better? I've gotta setup a Windows box
during the July 4th holiday. It would be great if the
stupid thing threw me for a lope and I couldn't finish
the job before leaving for home. lol

Ron