[linux-audio-user] Recording ADAT inputs on RME hammerfall 9636/52

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 13:37:17 EDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Stephen Cameron <smcameron at yahoo.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> > I suspect, for no good reason, that the mixer and the Hammerfall
> > wouldn't be happy if the Hammerfall is really running at 22K.
>
> Ok.  I don't know what to make of that.

Nor I. We need to figure this out. If the card is truly not running at
44/48K then I suspect your mixer will give you no sound, as it seems
to be.

<SNIP>

> The first is
> the completely useless one on the motherboard,
> the 2nd is an "audigy2 value" and the third is
> the RME.  So, now that you mention it, I would
> think it should be hw:2, but somehow I still
> think it's "hw:1"  Maybe it's because the motherboard
> soundcard is so utterly useless it doesn't even
> show up for work?

No, Linux/Alsa is not like Windows. It does not automatically load
drivers for you. If you do not load a driver for the onboard chip then
it won't work and won't show up in the list, which looking below it
did not. That is NOT the problem.

<SNIP>
> [scameron at zuul ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - Audigy 2 Value [SB0400]
>                       Audigy 2 Value [SB0400] (rev.0, serial:0x10011102) at 0x9000, irq 11
>  1 [R15            ]: RME9636 - RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5)
>                       RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5) at 0xea000000, irq 10
> [scameron at zuul ~]$

You have two cards recognized by Alsa and the Hammerfall is hw:1

One thing that has caused problems with some RME cards in the past is
the revision of firmward on the card. You seem to have Ver. 1.5 which
appears to be the same one I had at the time:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/36449

<COPY>
mark <at> gigastudio ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [M2496          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
                    M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0xa400, irq 10
1 [R15            ]: RME9636 - RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5)
                    RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5) at 0xe2000000, irq 9
2 [CMI8738MC6     ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6
                    C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55) at 0xd800, irq 11
mark <at> gigastudio ~ $
<COPY>

At this point I might suggest getting either meterbridge or
jackbitscope (hope that's the name) and making sure that you are
actually sending data on the Jack ports. You might also try a simpler
application like Aqualung or alsaplayer as a verification of what you
are doing with ecasound.

I'm a bit lost as to where you might look next. On my HDSP 9652 I Can
explore the /proc/asound/card1 directory a bit and see Alsa reporting
things about the card. Note that unless the card is operating much of
this was not reporting anything. However, after starting Jack I start
getting info, most of which isn't helpful but the last one was. It
shows sample rate:

mark at lightning ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0c/sub0/status
state: RUNNING
trigger_time: 1150911228.996154244
tstamp      : 1150911244.400714450
delay       : 80
avail       : 80
avail_max   : 96
-----
hw_ptr      : 679376
appl_ptr    : 679296
mark at lightning ~ $

mark at lightning ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0c/sub0/sw_params
tstamp_mode: NONE
period_step: 1
sleep_min: 0
avail_min: 64
xfer_align: 64
start_threshold: 0
stop_threshold: 128
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size: 0
boundary: 4611686018427387904
mark at lightning ~ $

mark at lightning ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0c/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 26
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 64
buffer_size: 128
tick_time: 1000
mark at lightning ~ $

Maybe you can do something similar and see what you discover?

Cheers,
Mark