[linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Jun 24 12:17:57 EDT 2006

On Sat June 24 2006 07:28, tim hall wrote:
> > > I keep all
> > > that stuff on a usb memory key on my keychain and update
> > > it whenever I remember to, because when people know that
> > > you're a total tool they tend to ask you for help a lot.
> > But they stop if you say something like "I am only a linux
> > freak, my last windows-experience is long ago..."
> Yeah, I just flutter my eyelids blondely and tell them that
> I'm not clever enough to fix Windows and I don't use

I was telling people for a while that I'm not familiar with
Windows anymore, but honestly, I've had to look at so many
compromised, virus infected, registry corrupted, spyware
infested or otherwise turd-burgled XP installations in the last
two years that I can't pretend to be unfamiliar with it
anymore.... that and when someone bats his or her eyes at me and
says pretty please, I am easily swayed.  I'm not the guy who
buys the "No, I will not fix your computer" T-shirt from
Thinkgeek.

My solution used to be to hand them a copy of Knoppix and say to
use that as a backup, but my social circle and family includes
many AOL users and gamers, not to mention the shift towards
laptops with wifi chipsets that can't be set up without an hour
and a half of nerd intervention.  That, and the tendency of
people to go, "You fixed my computer once, now come back and fix
it again" increases by an order of magnitude when I give them
Linux.  Sometimes you just gotta know what your limits are.

Rob