[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 33, Issue 86

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jun 29 07:40:33 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 23:18 +0300, David Baron wrote:
> > After doing some searching on google I have found that versions
> >  of JACK 0.80 and under supported ASIO, but it was removed in later
> >  versions
>
> I was thinking of trying to write such a thing but do not understand
> Steinberg's code well enough. It is "non-free" which I guess is why it was
> taken out. I want it back :-)

it had nothing to do with ASIO other than share a particular type of
behaviour with ASIO that wasn't in JACK by default.

ASIO on linux makes absolutely zero sense at all - in most senses JACK
*is* ASIO for linux (and OSX, and now c/o Stephane's work, for win32 as
well). the only place it would make sense is inside wine, but several
wine people have told me that this will never happen.

lets suppose that you had "ASIO for linux" - it would allow precisely
nothing to run.

--p