[linux-audio-user] Help setting up linux for high quality music listening via JACK

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:05:02 EDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Ryan Heise <ryan at ryanheise.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 06:24:04AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Problems with developers trying to maintain packages:
> > >
> > > - Too many package formats.
> > > - Too complicated package formats.
> > >
> > > But developers should (I think) take on the responsibility to make
> > > things easier for users.
> >
> > Sorry for having created some kind of problem here. Andrew asked. I
> > responded. Next time I guess I stay quiet.
>
> Hi Mark, I had to check the archives to see which emails you were
> referring to. They are not the ones I was replying to, so there is no
> problem in my eyes.
>
> My comments were of a general nature and aimed to contrast the problems
> "users" have building packages with the problems "developers" have
> building packages. What I hope the two contrasting views show is that
> the package systems are the real source of the problem, and it is the
> "developers" who can fix it. (Not Aqualung developers, but distribution
> developers)

I am just a user.

> I don't think users should ever have to install -dev packages or compile
> source code. And if it were easy for developers to build and release
> up-to-date packages, then users wouldn't have to do this.

AFAICT that is a distro specific decision. On FC I have to, and I
guess you guys on Debian have to also. On Gentoo I do not, AFAICT.
However, quite often in the last 12 months the Gentoo devs are
refusing to add specific versions of libraries to portage so you find
yourself having to build a library from source and tell portage you've
done it. At least with portage I can do this very easily. In fact, for
Jack, for a long time, I ran Jack outside of portage but told portage
it was on the machine which eliminated dependency issues.

It's essentialy not possible on FC as far as I know. (Or care to know...)

Maybe as users we to understand the decisions involved around these
things before picking a distro. Then there are no suprises.

- Mark